(Tea Party PAC) – Minnesota Governor Tm Walz (D) has predictably requested millions in federal aid to clean up the mess left by rioters in the wake of George Floyd’s death on Memorial Day.
If you think that President Donald Trump should laugh in his face, well, you know our POTUS well.
That’s a big, fat, “NO” from the White House.
Gov. Walz formally requested that Trump “declare a major disaster for the State of Minnesota because of extensive fire damage to public infrastructure caused by civil unrest” on July 2, according to the governor’s office.
Walz was seeking financial assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and estimated that the damage that was “eligible” for relief to cost almost $16 million.
The total damage in the city where he let protesters and rioters run rampant for days on end is in the neighborhood of $500 million according to his estimates.
On Friday, however, Walz’s office confirmed that the request had been denied, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported.
“The Governor is disappointed that the federal government declined his request for financial support,” a spokesperson for Walz in a statement that was quoted by the Star-Tribune. “As we navigate one of the most difficult periods in our state’s history, we look for support from our federal government to help us through.”
Trump has been quite vocal about what he believes was a weak response to the riots that erupted after Floyd’s death in late May.
On Wednesday, May 27, President Trump announced that he had directed the FBI and the Department of Justice to conduct a swift investigation of Floyd’s death.
But that night, rioters attacked a police precinct and set businesses ablaze. Local law enforcement did little to respond.
Though Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey requested National Guard troops the next morning, and Gov. Walz formally mobilized the Guard that afternoon, the initial response was insufficient.
In his letter requesting funds, Gov. Walz wrote to the president that the state had acted to address the civil unrest “quickly.”
State law enforcement officials, however, beg to differ.
Leaders from the Minnesota National Guard and the Department of Public Safety testified before the Senate last week that the initial call-up of 200 National Guardsmen was insufficient.
As the Twin Cities Pioneer Press reported:
Top law enforcement leaders on Thursday said earlier deployment of National Guard members to assist in the response to protests, arson fires and looting in Minneapolis and St. Paul could’ve mitigated the damage that resulted in May.
Heads of the Minnesota National Guard and Department of Public Safety on Thursday told a Senate panel that their reaction lagged as civil unrest grew beyond what state officials expected and as National Guard officials attempted to reset plans to mobilize an appropriate number of members to address the scene.
Later, the entire 15,000 troop would be mobilized as Trump offered the support of the US military, which was placed on alert but, ultimately, never requested by the state.
As protests continued under the banner of “Black Lives Matter,” Mayor Frey attempted to negotiate directly with them, only to be chased off the street when he refused to accept their demand to abolish or defund the police.
Later that month, a veto-proof, unanimous majority of the city council approved a pledge to abolish the Minneapolis Police Department.
Rep. Tom Emmer (R-MN) wrote to the president last Thursday, asking him to order a federal review of Minnesota’s response to the violence before any federal funds were released.
Minnesota is considered a key battleground state in the 2020 presidential election after Trump nearly won it in 2016.