(Tea Party PAC) – When John Bolton is defending President Trump, you’ve got to know whatever is being said about him is a flat-out lie.
In the face of wild claims that The Atlantic published about Trump having called deceased World War I soldiers “losers” during a 2018 trip, former administration official and tell-all book publisher John Bolton is pushing back.
Bolton, who was on the trip with Trump when he supposedly made these comments, says he “didn’t hear” Trump say any such thing.
Even John Bolton comes to President Trump’s defense pic.twitter.com/jOu0i1yAw2
— TV News HQ (@TVNewsHQ) September 5, 2020
Bolton believed that it was the “proper thing to do” at the time to cancel the visit, which he says had been an “entirely a weather-related decision.”
BizPac Review explains:
The story in The Atlantic sparked a furor this week as editor-in-chief Jeffrey Goldberg cited multiple unnamed sources in reporting that Trump intentionally skipped a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery northeast of Paris where 2,289 American war dead are buried. An additional 1,060 missing service members have their names inscribed on a memorial wall at the cemetery.
The article claimed Trump did not want to make the stop “because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead.”
“Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers,” Trump allegedly said, according to “four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day,” Goldberg claimed. The so-called sources also claimed that the president called the more than 1,800 marines who had died at the battle of Belleau Wood “suckers” for losing their lives.
Trump, witnesses come out swinging against anonymously sourced story claiming POTUS disparaged US fallen soldiers https://t.co/4H2aZgao8V
— Conservative News (@BIZPACReview) September 4, 2020
The president called out the “totally fake story” when speaking from the Oval Office on Friday. He also slammed the “lowlifes” and “liars” who made the claims in an exchange with reporters when he returned from a campaign stop in Pennsylvania late Thursday night. Documentation also backed his assertion that he was unable to make the visit to the cemetery despite his desire to do so because of heavy rain that day and the traffic and security implications involved.
The White House promptly responded to the allegations, slamming The Atlantic and issuing a press release which included statements from several people, including some who had also been with the president that day.
“I didn’t hear that,” Bolton told The Times in an interview. “I’m not saying he didn’t say them later in the day or another time but I was there for that discussion.”
This from a man who called Trump unfit for office after serving in his administration and even mentioned the very same trip in his book, even noting that the visit to the cemetary was canceled because of the weather.
He went as far as to call it an “unacceptable risk” to have the U.S. President stuck in traffic while making the long drive to the site, BPR notes.
Bolton rightly called out the media for attacking Trump over something that was not his decision.
Bolton, no fan of Trump’s, on the decision for Trump to skip Belleau Woods pic.twitter.com/OG4hGFwIfQ
— Meridith McGraw (@meridithmcgraw) September 4, 2020
Featured image credit: Gage Skidmore – flickr.com/photos/gageskidmore/25544228796/